Pharmacy & Old Fashion Soda Fountain
Even the famous and infamous, from President Andrew Jackson to outlaw Jessie James, visited Cross Plains. That observation has remained true today, over 200 years later, as people continue to move into one of Robertson County’s fastest growing “bedroom communities,” 35 miles north of Nashville, Tennessee. Many of Cross Plains historic homes predate the Civil War, and new homes continue to sprouting up along scenic highway 25 and around the new high school, junior high and elementary schools. Descendants of the original settlers still live in the town, and many new residents find themselves interested in the town’s history, so apparent and so often promoted at Thomas Drugs.
The drugstore got its start in 1915 as a dry goods store and around 1928 became a drugstore under Cross Plains Doctor, Jim Thomas and his son, Burgess Thomas, Pharmacist. Interior oak cabinets and glass display cases mirror those times and house many of the gift items and over-the-counter medicinals one would expect from a full service drugstore. Burgess Thomas founded his drugstore with an attitude of excellence in service and products. Dan Green purchased Thomas Drugs in 1974, and has continued that same philosophy. Today, Thomas Drugs is a family business under the ownership of Dan and Debbie Green. They are ready to serve you and create a lasting memory.
Thomas Drugs is located in the first settlement of Robertson County, Cross Plains, while Tennessee was still part of North Carolina, thanks to long hunter and pioneer explorer, Thomas Kilgore. In the spring of 1779 he brought family, neighbors and friends into the area and built Kilgore Station on a bluff above a tributary of the Red River. Kilgore lived to see the settlement grow into a thriving town. He died at the age of 108 in 1823.
James Yates, Kilgore’s son-in-law and the town‘s first merchant, is reported to have said “people were always coming and going across the plains,” hence the town’s name, Cross Plains, by 1812.